Hutton-le-Hole to Lastingham round
North Yorkshire is England’s largest county and one of the most rural comprising of the Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors, Vale of York and the coastal regions and they all have their own distinctive natural beauty. The county covers an area of 3,341 square miles and 40% of this area is covered by National Parks and with stunning moorland, beautiful dramatic to rolling hills, ancient woodland, a spectacular coastline, splendid waterfalls, many attractive villages and hamlets and many historic sites such as abbeys, castles, priories, stately homes and traditional pubs there is something for everyone of all ages to explore. The North York Moors has one of the largest expanses of heather moorland and it became a National Park in 1952 and covers an area of 554 square miles stretching from the Derwent Valley to the Cleveland Hills just south of the Tees. The sandstone and limestone hills have formed a rugged landscape with wide heather clad moorlands on the open tops and pretty farming communities and villages in the many sheltered valleys many of them hidden away. To the north and west the moors are defined by the steep scarp slopes of the Cleveland Hills on the edge of the Tees lowlands to the east the moors are clearly defined by the impressive cliffs of the North Sea coast and to the south by the broken line of the Tabular Hills and the Vale of Pickering. Please note the Moorsbus Network operating on Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays from 1st April to 28th October, a great way of exploring the North York Moors instead of using your car, has been refused funding from NPA and it is not yet known whether the service will continue in 2014 or the future.
Hutton-le-Hole is a very small attractive village in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire and within the North York Moors National Park. It is one of North Yorkshires most popular villages and Hutton Beck that flows through the centre is bound by wide green grass banks perfect for picnicking and paddling during the summer months. Another lovely attraction of this beautiful village is the moorland sheep that just wander all over the place looking for scraps that visitors leave behind. Hutton-le-Hole houses a pub The Crown, a shop, two tearooms and the Ryedale Folk Museum. During the building of The Crown, in 1940, coins were found dating back to 1770. It was built on the site of an older building which was in the style of a long house and had a byre at the south end, a mounting block and a trough supplying water to the tap room. Until the late 1930,s it was run as a small holding with land to the east and at Barmoor just north of the village. Due to the Crown being closed on Mondays and Tuesdays Burnley House bed and breakfast (not licensed) at present serves simple, wholesome, home cooked food in the evenings and are hoping to become a full restaurant.
Ryedale Folk Museum is Yorkshires leading open air museum offering an insight into how people lived and worked in the neighbouring villages from earliest times to the present day. Set in 3 acres of land there are thirteen rescued and reconstructed historic buildings including shops, thatched cruck cottages, Elizabethan manor house, barns and workshops. The museum also houses the oldest daylight photographic studio in the country and the renowned Hayes collection of photographs. The witch post in Stang End cottage is one of twenty known examples all from Yorkshire apart from one in Lancashire. The museum hosts a series of special days and events throughout the year such as craft demonstrations, rare breeds of farm livestock, engine days, working cottage life and much more. Blakey Road which heads north from the top of the village carries on over the moor to Castleton via Blakey Ridge and passes the Lion Inn which is one of the most remote pubs in the country and is very popular with music fans that flock there to hear some of the best local and national bands to be heard.
Lastingham is also a very small attractive and popular village on the edge of the North York Moors not far from Kirkbymoorside and Pickering. The moorland fed stream flows gently between the tiny greens and well kept stone built cottages with their pantile roofs, which remain much as they were in the early days. The village was home to the missionaries to the Angles, St Cedd and his brother St Chad. Lastingham is situated in a natural hollow and edges onto the open moorland of the North York Moors to the north and lush woodland and arable farmland to the south. Hutton-le-Hole like several other villages in the area sheep roam freely under the farmers grazing rights. The village houses a pub the Blacksmith’s Arms, St. Mary’s Church and Lastingham Grange. The Blacksmith’s Arms opposite the church has not changed much since the late 18th century when it was kept by the curate’s wife. There are three holy wells in the village dedicated to St. Chad, St. Ovin and St. Cedd. They once formed part of the water supply to the village before the mains water was piped from West Ness. In the early 1920’s Lastingham Grange was transformed from a 17th century farm house into a fine country house and opened as a hotel in 1946. The Wood family has owned and personally run the Grange since the mid 1950’s.
We turn left out of the car park and left again through the village past the Crown pub, the shop and two tea rooms to where the bridge meets the fork in the road. We turn left following the footpath sign to go through a gate and into the woods. We head forwards steeply uphill, through two wooden gap stiles, to the top. We come out onto a track and follow the track until we come to Grange Farm. We pass through the farm and turn right onto the small road and follow the road round to the left through the village of Spaunton. When the road bends to the right we turn left in front of the gate at the bridleway sign and head forwards through the gate into the wood. We follow the path through the wood and come out at Lastingham. We head forwards down the road and turn right over the bridge then immediate left slightly uphill. At the bend in the road (a detour to the left takes you to the village church and pub) we head straight forwards uphill on the no-through road past Lastingham Grange Hotel. The road becomes a track and we go through the gate and up to the signpost and turn left following the wall on our left to the road. At the road we turn right for a short way then at the footpath sign on the right we turn right and follow the track to the farm. Just past the farm we follow the path on the right then at the end of the field system we bear slightly left to the road and Loskey Bridge. We turn left and follow the small road until we come to the t-junction. We turn right and just before the cattle grid we go through the gate on the left, just below the bank, into the trees and this path takes us back to the car park avoiding the road.
This is an easy walk with one steep hill to start off with and some minor road from Loskey Bridge back into Hutton-le-Hole.
Elevation: Approx lowest point 89m (292ft) Approx highest point 178m (584ft).
Distance and Start Point
Approx 5 miles allow 2 hours using OS Explorer Map OL26, North York Moors Western area.
Start Point: Hutton-le-Hole car park.
Directions and Parking
From the A1(M) take the A61 or A168 eastwards to Thirsk. At Thirsk take the A170 passing through Helmsley and just after Kirkbymoorside take the left turn signposted Hutton-le-Hole. After passing the Crown pub take the next right and the car park is on the right.
Parking: Pay and Display car park, £4 for all day.
Toilets and Refreshments
There are public toilets in the car park at Hutton-le-Hole. For refreshments in Hutton-le-Hole there is the Crown public house, the Barn Hotel & Tearoom, the Forge Tearoom and the Shop on the Green. In Lastingham there is the Blacksmiths Arms.