Staveley to Longsleddale Round, Kendal
Watch the video of the Walk
Kendal is a large market town situated on the River Kent and is the southern gateway to the Lake District making this an ideal walking base being only 8miles from Windermere and the ferry across the lake. In 1189 Kendal was granted its market charter and it relives those days every year in the spring bank holiday week. In the 14th century Kendal’s prosperity came from the wool trade when Flemish weavers came to the area. There were many mills on the River Kent hence the town’s motto “wool is my bread” which relates to “Kendal Green”, a rough, hardwearing material worn by Kendal archers. The yards of houses in Kendal were named after the owners, and many of the yards ran down to the river, where weaving shops, dyeing works and factories were located. On the western edge of town on top of the hill sits the 12th century stone ruins of Kendal Castle. The castle was built by the de Lancaster family, barons of Kendal, and built of earth and timber and was rebuilt in stone in the late 12th century by Gilbert FitzReinfred. The castle was owned many times, some of them royalty. Kendal is most famous for its Kendal Mint Cakes, legend has it that a confectioner trying to make glacier mints forgot to keep a close watch on the candy and the mixture turned cloudy and grainy. This “mistake gone right” was made by Joseph Wiper who produced the cakes in his factory in 1869. Kendal Mint Cake is high in glucose and is very sweet, a great energy booster for walkers of hills and mountains.
Staveley to Longsleddale Round
Staveley situated in the middle of three hills, Reston Scar, Piked Howe and Lily Fell, was granted its market charter in 1329 when then it held weekly markets and a three day annual fair. The village got its name from the woodworking industry ( Staveley meaning “field of staffs”) due to the forests that covered the surrounding hills and the two rivers that are close by. This trade expanded during the Industrial Revolution and the wood mill on the River Kent employed 200 workers. Near to Staveley Mill Yard you can still see where the water was drawn off above the weir at Barley Bridge and along the millrace to the waterwheel, replaced in 1902 with turbines. By 1850 bobbin turning was the main industry in the valley, especially at Staveley Mill Yard.
We park at Barley Bridge and walk over the bridge next to the weir, then turn left up the road, taking the first path on the right to Brunt Knott Farm. From here we go up steeply over the middle of two hills and down steeply into Longsleddale and the River Sprint.
Longsleddale is bound to the west by Kentmere Pike and Shipman Knotts and to the east by Sleddale Fell, and its summits of Grey Crag and Tarn Crag. The River Sprint starts on the slopes of Harter Fell and Branstree and flows south to the River Kent at Kendal.
We now follow the River Sprint southwards to near Garnett Bridge then we go upwards to East View (a derelict building) and then on to Potter Tarn. We walk pass Potter Tarn up hill to a stile and then down hill to Frost Hole, here we take the path to the road then turning right we make our way back to Barley Bridge.
Please use OS map 7 with this walk.
Approx 350metres or 1148feet. Some steep inclines and declines, but easy walking along side the River Sprint.
Approx 9.25miles using OS map 7
Staveley – between Kendal and Windermere.
Plenty of car parking at the side of road and there is a car parking area at Barley Bridge.
Take the A591 from Kendal or Windermere and Staveley is 4miles either way.
Toilets and Refreshments
Kendal and Windermere. There is a train station in Staveley where there maybe toilets and refreshments, please check.